Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Getting new Releases

To get notified on new releases you may follow us on twitter @expandframework or subscribe in our main RSS feed.

Topic-icon ModelDifference ModelToUpdateFromFileCriteria -> Please make it optional

More
1 year 4 months ago #11299 by Tolis
nice to hear and yes your solution makes totally sense, however your suggestion does not. The problem came from some kind of incorrect migration and by disabling the automatic generation/update of models we are going to introduce numerous side effects. Furthermore as I mentioned before the module does not update or create new models unless there is some kind of bug like this one.

Thanks for sharing again.

To get notified on new releases follow us on twitter @expandframework or subscribe RSS feed. I am also available @tolisss . Also see How to debug eXpand
  • Johannes
  • Johannes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #11300 by Johannes
Sorry to say, but it seems that you didn't undestand my suggestion. I was suggesting an option that doesn't have to be the default setting. I think the reasons for it are as good as for the mentioned XAF setting regarding schema update.
More
1 year 4 months ago #11301 by Tolis
>Apart from this particular case the suggestion for something like ApplicationModelUpdateMode = ApplicationModelUpdateMode.Never for mentioned reasons is prevailing.

so let's re-iterate once more. In the Never mode if the app cannot find the model for the device it should throw an exception. In addition all the attributes that could update the XmlContent of an MDO object should be ignored. Do I get it right?

To get notified on new releases follow us on twitter @expandframework or subscribe RSS feed. I am also available @tolisss . Also see How to debug eXpand
  • Johannes
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #11302 by Johannes
When it comes to the tricky details then you get it much more right then I am able to :-)
Yes, an exception (like the XAF "database schema upgrade necessary" exception) would make perfect sense if it can't find the application model. For the latter I am not sure wheter I undestand it correctly - do you mean the possible changes to an User-MDO during runtime or maybe possible xml-updates during startup to all kinds of MDOs? Of the latter I haven't thought before as having no detailed knowledge what magic is happening behind the scenes but yes, it would seem very correct.
So it might be more like a ModelDifferenceUpdateMode setting. Thanks for reiterating.
More
1 year 4 months ago #11303 by Tolis
hmmm yes we are already in the trial and error area :), so I will try an implementation as I see fit and will update this post when done. What I really meant in the 2nd part was that none of the model attributes that update models from files should be functional in the Never mode.

• Johannes
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #11304 by Johannes
I wish I could give some more input on the details to avoid some trial and error :-)
Some more thoughts: If role and user MDO's get updated as well by the model difference module, then it would make a big difference wheter it updates all MDOs or only those for the current user and roles. A good use case would be (similar to what I do for an application with DatabaseUpdateMode.Never):
- usually run always in "Never"-mode
- turn off "Never"-mode just for one application start usually after an upgrade if something is missing (to get the model updated) -> all MDOs needs to be updated should be updated now
- turn on "Never"-mode again (and get reminded if something like application model is badly missing)

It could be a problem though if not all MDOs get updated in one go but just the one for the current user. If this would be the case then it would need further consideration (maybe with one more other UpdateMode etc.). For now I hope that it's not how it currently works.

No hurry on my side. I would be glad for a more relaxed upgrade somewhere in 2018 (if it is doable at all).
Moderators: expand
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds